1844 Directory
Features Timeline Folk & Facts Flora Fauna

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Directory Entry of Suffolk 1844ref: white 942.64

Tuddenham

A pleasant village on an acclivity near a rivulet, 3 miles S.S.E. of Mildenhall, has in its parish 428 souls, and 2435 acres, extending eastward to the river Lark. The Marquis of Bristol and M.E. Rogers Esq., are lords of the manors and owners of most of the soil. The Church (ST Mary) is a neat structure, with a tower and five bells. The living is a rectory, valued in K.B at 10.17s. 6d., and in 1835 at 284. The Marquis of Bristol is patron; the Rev. W. Hall, incumbent; and the Rev. H. R. Smythies, curate. Here is a Baptist church built in 1843. The Church Land is an allotment of 16A.3R.29P., awarded at the enclosure in 1796, in lieu of open filed land held from time immemorial for the repairs of the church. It is let for about 13 a year. 

In 1711 Jane Wotton left a yearly rent of 6 out of parsonage of Tuddenham, for distribution among the poor parishioners. The Free School was founded by John Cockerton, who died in 1723, endowed it with a dwelling house and 3A. of land occupied by the schoolmaster, and with a barn 55A. 2R. 12P. of freehold land and 36a. 1r. 28p. of copyhold land, let for about 70 a year. The master teachers as free scholars all the poor children of the parish who are sent to him. His house is about to be rebuilt, and the school repaired. Mr Thos. Steel has a large steam & water corn mill in the parish.

Evered Mr Francis
Frinton Walter, Tailor 
Firman Mary, Shopkeeper 
Kendall Wm. Wheelwright 
Naylor James, vict White Horse
Phillips Wm. Shoemaker
Reynolds Mrs Sarah 
Rumbelow Philip, blacksmith 
Sparrow Elias, shoemaker 
Sparrow Robert, shopkeeper 
Steel Thomas, Corn miller 
Tyler Peter, butcher & vict Anchor

Farmers

Booty John, Tuddenham Hall 
Steel Thomas II Burt Thomas 
Fowler Wm. II Wiseman David 
CARRIER, Wm Craske, to Bury, Wednesday

2000 Jean Ridley
see also Directories 1855 , 1864 , 1873 , 1883 , 1900 , 1925 , 1937
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac