1925 Directory
Features Timeline Folk & Facts Flora Fauna

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Directory Entry of Suffolk 1925-26ref: Kelly 1925-6

Tuddenham St. Mary

Is a parish & village, pleasantly situated on gently rising ground 3 miles south-east from Mildenhall terminal station, and 3 north from Higham station on the Cambridge, Newmarket and Bury St Edmunds branch of the London and North Eastern railway, and 9 north-west from Bury St Edmunds division of the county, Lackford hundred and petty sessional division, Mildenhall union and county court district, rural deanery of Mildenhall, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich. The village is supplied with water by two artesian bore pumps, which were erected in 1911 in commemoration of the coronation of H.M. King George V. The church of St Mary is an ancient building of stone and rubble, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: it was thoroughly restored newroofed and reseated in 1876 at a cost of 2500, the chancel retains a piscina and there is also one in the aisle; in the nave are stones inscribed to Thomas Shelley, dated 1680; and his wife, 1695; Henry Goldwell, one of the burgesses of Bury St Edmunds, 1693; his wife, 1712; and to James Davies, dated 1719: there are 250 sittings, of which 200 are free. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Cavenham, joint net yearly value 546, with 17 acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of Rear-Admiral the Marquis of Bristol M.V.O. who has two turns and the lord chancellor, who has one turn, and held since 1922 by the Rev. William Walter Chandler, of Durham University. There is a Wesleyan chapel here. Rear-Admiral the Marquis of Bristol M.V.O. is lord of the Manor and principal landowner. The soil is light & sandy; subsoil gravel & sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2644 acres; rateable value 1,422 and the population in 1921 was 307.

Sexton, James Garnsey.

POST OFFICE

Russel Spooner, sub-postmaster. Letters through Mildenhall which is the nearest money-order office. Herringswell is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant. The Free school was founded by John Cockerton, who endowed it, in 1723, with 100 acres of land, and an attached dwelling-house for the use of the schoolmaster is used as an elementary school; it will hold 69 children; Mrs M.L. Bullock, mistress.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Chandler Rev. William Walter (rector), Rectory
Hearn Henry, Nether Hall
Pinner George W
COMMERCIAL
Barkham Daniel Aaron, shoemaker
Barkham Hetty (Miss), Shopkeeper
Cricket Club (F.Cargill, Sec)
Foresters Lodge, Anchor of Hope (D Barkham, sec: R J Wright, treas), Anchor inn
Grimwood Charles, Coal dealer
Hearn Henry, farmer, Nether Hall
Kendall Harry, blacksmith
Kendall Ned Newton, farmer
Manning Frederick Montague, White Hart P.H
Public Reading Room (John ?)
Push John, Farmer, Mill Farm
Spooner Russell, grocer & post office
Vale Arthur John Robert, farmer
Wright Robert John, Anchor P.H

2000 Jean Ridley
see also Directories 1844 , 1855 , 1864 , 1873 , 1883 , 1900 , 1937
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac