Directory Entry of Suffolk 1864
Tuddenham St Mary
Is a parish & village, pleasantly situated on gently rising ground, in Lackford hundred, Mildenhall union and county court district, Fordham rural deanery, Sudbury archdeaconry, and diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, 3 ¼ miles south-east from Mildenhall, 8 ½ north-east from Newmarket station, 9 west from Bur, and 3 north from Higham, its nearest railway station. The church of St Mary is an ancient building of stone and rubble, in the Early English style of architecture, consisting of nave, aisle, chancel, tower with 5 bells, and porch. The register dates from 1563. The living is a rectory, annual value £283, with residence, in the gift of the Marquis of Bristol, and held by the Rev. Ezekiel Sparke, M.A. there is a chapel belonging to the Baptist connexion, the Free school was founded by John Cockerton, who endowed it, in 1723, with a dwelling-house and some land attached for the use of the schoolmaster: the school-house and masters residence have been rebuilt. There is an extensive flour mill driven by water & steam. Here are the remains of an abbey. The Marquis of Bristol and Mrs. Rogers are each owners of their respective manors, and of the principal part of the soil. There is one charity of about £6 yearly value. The soil is light & sandy. The population of the parish in 1861 was 413, and the area is 2644 acres.
Parish Clerk, John Avery.
Robert Sparrow, receiver. Letters by foot from Mildenhall arrive at 7.30a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Mildenhall is the nearest money order office Free School, William Mann, master; Mrs Mann, mistress
CARRIER TO BURY
passes through every Wednesday from Mildenhall
Sparke Rev Ezekiel, M.A.,J.P.[rector]
©2000 Jean Ridley
A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival ©2000 Designed by ArtAtac