1873 Directory
Features Timeline Folk & Facts Flora Fauna

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Directory Entry of Suffolk 1873ref: Harrod 1873

Tuddenham St. Mary

Is a village and parish in Lackford hundred, Mildenhall union and County Court district, diocese of Ely, archdeaconry of Suffolk, West division, distant 3 miles S.E. from Mildenhall, 9 W. from Bury, and 3 N. from Higham railway station. The church (St Mary) is an ancient edifice, in the early English style of architecture, with tower containing 5 bells. The living is a rectory, value 280 per annum, with residence and 20 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the Marquis of Bristol, and held by the Rev. Ezekiel Sparke, M.A. Here is a free school for boys & girls, endowed by John Cockerton in 1783, with residence for the master. Here is a Baptist chapel. There is an extensive flour milling belonging to the Marquis of Bristol, who is also the lord of both manors, and chief landowner. The population in 1871 was 399.

POSTAL REGULATIONS

Frederick Manning, Sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 7.30a.m.; dispatched at 5.35 p.m. Mildenhall is the nearest money-order, telegraph office and post town.

CARRIERS TO BURY 

pass through every Wednesday from Mildenhall.

Sparke Rev Ezekiel, M.A., rector, the rectory
Cracknell William, grocer &c.
Firman Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper
Kendall Alfred, Wheelwright
King J.N. miller & merchant
Newdick David, shopkeeper, gardener & innkeeper
Rumbelow Mrs. Mary , blacksmith
Rumbelow Philip H. brewer, "Anchor Inn"
Sparrow Mrs. shoemaker
Van Hagan Mr. Master of endowed school
Wicks John, bricklayer & vict. "White hart Inn"

FARMERS.
Avery Robert and landowner
Gayford Kitton, Nether Hall
King J.N.
Roper J.C.
Rumbelow Philip H. and merchant
Wright W. Nodds hall

2000 Jean Ridley
see also Directories 1844 , 1855 , 1864 , 1883 , 1900 , 1925 , 1937
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac