1855 Directory
Features Timeline Folk & Facts Flora Fauna

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Directory Entry of Suffolk 1855ref: L97 white 942.64

Tuddenham 

A pleasant village on an acclivity near a rivulet, 3 miles S.S.E. of Mildenhall, has in its parish 479 souls, and 2644 acres, extending eastward to the river Lark. The Marquis of Bristol and Mrs. Rogers own the manors and most of the soil. A farm of 564 acres belongs to one of the Thetford charities. The Church (ST Mary) is a neat structure, with a tower and five bells, and was repaired in 1854. The living is a rectory, valued in K.B at 10.17s. 6d., and in 1835 at 284. The Marquis of Bristol is patron; the Rev. E. Sparke, M.A., is the incumbent and rebuilt the Rectory House in 1854. The glebe is 20a. Here is a Baptist church built in 1843. The Church Land is an allotment of 16A.3R.29P., awarded at the enclosure in 1796, in lieu of open filed land held from time immemorial for the repairs of the church. It is let for about 13 a year. In 1711 Jane Wotton left a yearly rent of 6 out of parsonage of Tuddenham, for distribution among the poor parishioners. The Free School was founded by John Cockerton, who, in 1723, endowed it with a dwelling house and 3A. of land occupied by the schoolmaster, and with a barn 55A. 2R. 12p. of freehold land and 36a. 1r. 28p. of copyhold land, let for about 70 a year. The master teachers as free scholars all the poor children of the parish who are sent to him. His house and the school were rebuilt in 1846. Post from Mildenhall.

Avery Robert, free schoolmaster
Brown Thomas, parish clerk
Evered Mr Fras. II Reynolds Mrs S.
Frinton Walter, Tailor
Firman Mary, Shopkeeper
Kendall Eliz., Wheelwright
Kendall Robert, shoemaker
Morley Isaac, shoemaker
Naylor Nancy, vict. White Horse
Phillips Wm. Shoemaker
Sparke Rev Ezekiel, M.A., rectory 
Sparrow Elias, shoemaker 
Sparrow Emily, shopr. & H.dressmkr 
Steel Thomas, Corn miller & mercht. 
Steam and Water Mills 
Tyler Peter, butcher & vict. Anchor 
Wilks Isaac, bricklayer 
Farmers 
Craske Wm. 
Ellington Richard
Booty John, Hall 
Mills George
2000 Jean Ridley
see also Directories 1844 , 1864 , 1873 , 1883 , 1900 , 1925 , 1937
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac