1937 Directory
Features Timeline Folk & Facts Flora Fauna

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Directory Entry of Suffolk 1937ref: Kelly 1937

Tuddenham St. Mary

Is a parish & village, pleasantly situated on gently rising ground 3 miles south-east from Mildenhall terminal station, and 3 north from Higham station on the Cambridge, Newmarket and Bury St Edmunds branch of the London and North Eastern railway, and 9 north-west from Bury St Edmunds division of the county, Lackford hundred and petty sessional division, rural district, county court district of Bury St Edmunds, rural deanery of Mildenhall, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich.

The village is supplied with water by two artesian bore pumps, which were erected in 1911 in commemoration of the coronation of H.M. King George V. The church of St Mary is an ancient building of stone and rubble, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: it was thoroughly restored newroofed and reseated in 1876 at a cost of 2500, the chancel retains a piscina and there is also one in the aisle; in the nave are stones inscribed to Thomas Shelley, dated 1680; and his wife, 1695; Henry Goldwell, one of the burgesses of Bury St Edmunds, 1693; his wife, 1712; and to James Davies, dated 1719: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Cavenham, joint net yearly value 544, with 17 acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of Rear-Admiral the Marquis of Bristol M.V.O. who has two turns and the lord chancellor, who has one turn, and held since 1935 by the Rev. William Rutherford M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. There is a Methodist chapel here. Rear-Admiral the Marquis of Bristol M.V.O. is lord of the Manor and principal landowner. The soil is light & sandy; subsoil gravel & sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2644 acres; the population in 1931 was 288. Post & Tel call office. Letters through Bury St Edmunds. Mildenhall nearest M.O. office and Herringswell nearest T. office.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Rutherford Rev. William M.A (rector), Rectory
COMMERCIAL
Marked thus* farm 150 acres or over.
Barkham Hetty (Miss), Shopkeeper
Brown Chas. & Rd. farmers, Nether Hall
Cattermole Arth. Geo. Insur agt
Corble Harry, foreman to J D Sayer esq. Hill & Old Hall farms
Crown P.H (Ned Newton Kendall)
Foresters Lodge, Anchor of Hope (W G Tuthill, sec)
Grimwood Charles, Coal dealer
Kendall Harry, blacksmith
Public Reading Room (S Sparkes, sec)
* Richardson Arth. Jn. Farmer, Mill farm
Sayer Jas. Davey, miller
Spooner Russell, grocer & post office Mildenhall 3110
*Vale Cecil, farmer, Hall farm
White Hart P.H (Rt E Lockwood)
Wright Laurence, farmer

2000 Jean Ridley
see also Directories 1844 , 1855 , 1864 , 1873 , 1883 , 1900 , 1925 
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac