Welcome to Gazeley
The Manor of Desingla
(Desning) which took in ownership of the Church of
Gaseleia (Gazeley) and the tithes of Desingla enjoys considerable mention in the
Doomsday Book (1086). William the Conqueror gave the Manor to Richard de Clare
and for 400 years from 1124 the vicar of Gazeley was appointed by Stoke Priory
which was controlled by Richard. The spelling of the name changed from Oadesley
(1234) to Gazeley (1603) through various combinations.
Spring Fair Mon 18/12/00
The village is set in green countryside with fine trees enhancing the dignity
of it's ancient church, dedicated to All Saints. The Parish Church occupies a
commanding position in the centre of the village and this ancient building
offers many features of interest to visitors.
Gazeley is a pleasant village, a place of infinite charm but is more, it possesses
a history of some consequence linked as it is with the names of some of the most
important people of the day.