Architecture
Features Folk & Facts

Home
Up
Church
Post Mill
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

The old flint schoolroom (1843) recently used for Sunday School classes is still occasionally used for other meetings. A smart new building (1959) now caters for first school pupils. A village store and post office which catered for every day needs closed some years ago. A pleasant village ball provides the venue for Womens' Institute, Playgroup, Over 60's, Bingo a Table Tennis Club as well as private bookings for dances, parties, weddings and Rind raising events of many kinds. It is now being extended, helped by a lottery grant. By the generosity of a local landowner, Gazeley has the benefit of a superb sports field which is managed and maintained by the Sports Club and the village has active football and cricket clubs.

There remains one thatched dwelling in Gazeley. Formerly two fifteenth century cottages, The Hutch, is now converted into one residence. The Hutch can tell it's own story of links with the past. When the roof was re-thatched in recent years, the thighbone of an ox was discovered, evidently an amulet placed there to ward off evil spirits, in accordance with the beliefs of the time.

see also Church and Post Mill

 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac