School
Features Timeline Records Folk & Facts

Home
Up
Early Days
Mortlock
Log 1903-59
New School
Teachers
Diana Green
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Beginnings

The site for the school and the adjoining school house was built on glebe (Church) land in 1849. The land was given by the Rector, the Rev Edmund Mortlock. He writes "The building was erected wholly at my expense, at the cost of a little over 600, including the fittings of the school and the furniture of the residence. Being therefore at the sole cost of the buildings and the site being granted from the glebe, I reserved the management of the school, to the Rector exclusively." As the school was built on glebe, the consent Cambridge had to be obtained.

1900s Old School c1900 note bell tower and small upstairs windows in the house > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return Moulton School 1908 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return

1910s Old School in about 1910. Built by Rev Mortlock in 18?? Head Teacher in 1905 was Miss FC Black, later head of St Marys Newmarket. Other teachers Mr Mills, Miss Errington, Miss Poulter, Mr Brown, Mr Blackly, note tower and gates > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return  Group from Moulton School c1912 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return  Group from Moulton School 1916 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return

1920s Group from Moulton School 1924/25 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return Group from Moulton School 1928/29 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return Group from Moulton School 1922 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return

  Group from Moulton School 1928/29 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return

1930s Old School and Rectory Cottage, 1930's note no bell tower, new gates, rear chimney at Rectory Cottage > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return School Exterior 1930 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return Church Road Ford 1936 l-r Maralyn Reed, Ely Reed, Colin Reed, ??, date may be wrong > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return Old school gate 1937, l-r Bill Wright, David Baker, Iris Jennings, Jean Barber, Len Forman > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return  
Clarkson children 1936 l-r Nancy, John, Gladys and Mary at Moulton School 1922 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return
   Moulton School c1930 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return

1940s 

1950s  Moulton School in Old Village Hall 1954 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return  Moulton School 1955 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return

1960s 

1970s 

1980s 

1990s 

2000s School 2000 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return Footpath sign > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return under Packhorse Bridge notice the water level marker > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return

 

 

 

 

George and Mary Moss with daughter Agnes, sons Stanley, Fred and Alen. At rear of Maltings in 1906 > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return

Workmen at the Kings Head during the 1920's. Possibly George Brightwell, back right and Bill Baily, front left > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to return

The Duke of Rutland, giving his consent for the school, gave 100 towards the building. He also promised to give the sum of 5 annually towards the salary of the mistress or master and other expenses of the school, on the beginning of the month of January in each year. The Rev Edward Mortlock maintained the school at his own expense and endowed it with the rent, from the former Town House Cottages, which he bought for that purpose. (Cottages were situated on the other side of the river to the church entrance, demolished in 1912).

2000 John Gunson, Village Recorder

 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac