WaterMill
Features Timeline Folk & Facts Flora Fauna

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

millest.gif (85747 bytes)WaterMill

The present structure was built in 1775 by Collins, millwrights of MeltonSROB Books (621.21) Suffolk Watermills, Rex Wailes, Watermills & Windmills in the Lark valley R.A.Silvertock 1996 and has been altered since then with additions in both 1826 and 1855 when the 53' chimney was constructed to facilitate the use of steam.
In its hey-day, with five pairs of stones and four floors, it was part of the same estate as the windmill and which were both bought back from Thomas Steel in 1866SROB (Box file) Trades & Occupations, Millers/ Mills 429/7 by the Marquis of Bristol. It was the M of Bristol who had previously, in 1802, Leased and then in 1823 sold the water mill to Thomas Steel seniorSROB Bristol Papers HA507/2/277 .

The Water Mill from differernt angles, the 53' chimney allowed the wheel to be driven by steam as well as water - there used to be a ford opposite. Worked until 1954, converted to restaurant in 1972At the turn of the 19th. /20th. Century the mill stream, which powered the water mill, was opened up to allow barges from the Lark Navigation and TransportSROB Books (386.094 2644) River Lark Navigation Company which existed for about twelve years, access to the village and no doubt the mill made use of this convenient means of transport.

The Water Mill from differernt angles, the 53' chimney allowed the wheel to be driven by steam as well as water - there used to be a ford opposite. Worked until 1954, converted to restaurant in 1972The mill was leased out to various millers for a while then the M of Bristol sold it again and it worked until 1954 after which it became derelict and used for storage. In 1972 it was converted into a high class restaurant which has changed hands a few times since then but still retains the working water wheel as an attractive feature.The Water Mill from differernt angles, the 53' chimney allowed the wheel to be driven by steam as well as water - there used to be a ford opposite. Worked until 1954, converted to restaurant in 1972
See also Windmill
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac