The Mills
Features Timeline Folk & Facts Flora Fauna

Home
Up
WaterMill
Windmill
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

The Mills of Tuddenham St. Mary

A mill at Tuddenham is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and millers are frequently listed in the parish recordsSROB Parish Records FL644/4/2, e.g. in 1705 John Rumbelow, yeoman and miller of this parish was buried April 5th.

In 1724 Francis Howlet "who now is and has been clerk diverse years" was allowed 1/- from the mill as part of the "wages due to him by y year."SROB FL644/4/2 Parish Records, After 1780 entries 
Later in the 1851 census returnsCensus Returns, Tuddenham 075 Fiche we find 3 millers, 3 journeyman millers, 1 miller's apprentice, 1 millwright, 1 miller's clerk and an engineer who was probably employed at the mills. There is no mention of the windmill in any of the trade directories but in 1879 an extensive water and steam mill' is listed and milling, along with agriculture, has been one of the prominent industries in our village history.

During the late 18th. and early 19th. Centuries water, steam and wind was used as a power source but water was probably the most successful of these and presumably it was this type of mill that has occupied the same site over the centuries.
See also Watermill and Windmill
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac