Windmill
Features Timeline Folk & Facts Flora Fauna

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Tuddenham windmill.jpg (61446 bytes)Windmill

The timber built and boarded windmill that existed in 1776 was probably a post millPeter Dolman, Suffolk Mills Group which was replaced by a smock mill in the early 1800's this being the one sold with the water mill in. 1866 as a going concern. By about 1882 it had been abandoned and photos, circa 1890's, show it as derelict with no cap or sails.

Although marked on the 1901 O.S. map as 'old windmill' it was no doubt disused by the turn of the 20th. century and either fell down or was demolished soon after.
Some people in Tuddenham remember the area, now known as Cherry Hill, being called Windmill Hill and as children, playing on the ruins of the mill. No evidence of it or the granary both described in the sale particulars of 1866 can be found today and the area is now covered with mature fir frees.
See also Watermill
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac