Welcome to Brandon
approach to the Brandon of today would be unrecognisable to a Brandonian
of the eighteenth century. Whereas today it is approached from all sides
through dense coniferous forests, until the beginning of the eighteenth
century the approach was across bare sandy warrens.
The town grew to importance as the lowest point at which the Little
Ouse River could be crossed all year round. Travellers around the eastern
edge of the Fens journeying to and from Northwest Norfolk crossed the
river at Brandon by ferry or bridge. The
modem traveller is likely to see only the High Street, although those from
the west might notice signs to Town Street and the church. Until the
enclosure award of 1810, and the subsequent filling of the gap between
them, there were distinct settlements at Town Street and the High Street.
Both are clearly shown on old maps; until recently High Street was known
as Ferry Street, Paradoxically, the modem bridge across the river is at
the old Ferry Street. A bridge at this site has existed since about 1600,
but this is not the site of the original bridge at Brandon.
John Basham ©2000