Newsagents
Features Timeline Records Folk & Facts

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Newsagents

 The first recorded newsagent in the village was John Blinker, who lived at No 26 The Street , working as a newsagent in 1900. The business was then taken over by Mr Jackson who lived at the same address and who delivered in the village up to 1935. 

c1955 Frank Middleditch delivering papers Chippenhan Road  > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to returnThe business then passed to brothers Frank and Dot Middleditch of Kentford, who continued the business up to 1970, it then passed to John Trott who lived in Benefield Road, then to Betty and Joe Lindbourg who lived on the Gazeley Road.

In 1993 Betty and Joe gave up the Kennett and Kentford paper round after 23 years, to Bill Carr of Moulton. Initially all newspapers were collected from Kennett station, but in later years the paper have to be collected from Bury St. Edmunds. In 1993, all the newspapers were delivered to newsagent's home by carrier.

Betty & Joe Lindbourg, presentation to honour work delivering papers for 28 years. Village hall 8 Oct 1998  > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to returnJoe and Betty retired on Sunday the 30th of August 1998 after 28 years. A village collection was made for Joe and Betty in appreciation of their good work. The round was taken over by Mel and Pauline Dunnett, who live in St Peters Avenue. On the 30th of August 1999, the deliveries were taken over by David Woollard who lives in Bury St. Edmunds.

 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac