Butchers
Features Timeline Records Folk & Facts

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Butchers Shops 

Butcher William Jennings, middle, with sons Harold, left and Wilfred on right. Driver George Moss in 1911. Taken at butchers shop at rear of shop in the street. Supplier to surrounding villages c1900  > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to returnHarry Swann Wright ran a butchers shop in 1896, situated in the terrace of houses / shop, Bridge Farm, Bridge Street, the business was continued by Charles Jennings from about 1900 to 1940. It was mainly a pork butchers and had a slaughter house at the rear in the farmyard of Bridge Farm. The other main butcher which also had a slaughter house was situated behind the Shop / Post Office, The Street. Staff of Jennings butchers shop/slaughter house in about 1900. William Jennings back row, third from left  > Simply click to enlarge... then use the [Back] button to returnA directory shows that Charles Swan ran the business in 1855. The business was taken over by George Deeks who expanded the business to such an extent that it employed ten men and supplied meat to several surrounding villages. William Jennings, a relation of George Deeks, took over in 1907. The business passed to his son Harold in 1921. The butchery business closed in 1954 although the slaughter house had closed several years earlier.

2000 John Gunson, Village Recorder

 

 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac