War Memorial
Folk & Facts

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

The Exning War Memorial. 

The War Memorial stands at the 'White Horse' crossroads and was erected in June 1921,in memory of the 78 men connected with Exning who died in The Great War. A memorial book was added after the Second World War with the names of a further 23 men and 2 civilians who died under enemy action. The Memorial was designed by Messrs. W. J. Nutty of Cheveley and is made of Cornish Granite. It was paid for by public subscription,the total cost being 624-12-6p. It was unveiled on Sunday 5th.June 1921 by Col. Hon. Walter Guiness, D.S.O., M.P., and dedicated by Canon Farmilae. A report in the Newmarket Journal estimated the crowd to be between 5000 and 7000 people.

R E Bye - 22 Villagers Co-ordinator, Exning 2000
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac