The Plough
Archaeology Folk & Facts Features Last Century

Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team


The Plough / The Plough Inn 


This was the only pub in the area with a spittoon. A local, the pipe smoker Arthur Spalding became known as Dead Eyed Dick because he never missed. The pub sold ‘Battle Axe’ and ‘Walnut Plug’ Tobacco which came in lengths of about 2 foot marked in 1 ounce strips which were chiselled off for the customer. 

Alan Firman, previous inhabitant recalling the 1930’s.


The following list of names and occupations may indicate the occupant of The Plough.Kelly’s, White’s and Harrod’s Directories unless otherwise indicated 

1550’s Built 
1846 William Ransdale farmer and beer house 
1861 William Ransdale rented The Plough for £2. 2s.
1864 Joseph Ransdale; farmer and beer retailer 
1875 Joseph Ransdale; farmer and beer retailer with 62 acres 
1883 Emily Ransdale beer retailer and farmer with 60 acres 
1891 Arthur Ransdale Source: Census 
1891. 1896 Edward Ransdale 
1904 Alfred Peachey - Beer retailer 
1908 Charles Bull - Beer retailer 
1914 Let on lease from Greene, King & Sons at a yearly rent of £38Estate auction Papers  
1916 Albert Palmer - Beer retailer 
C.1976 Closed. 
C.1985 Sold into private hands


A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival ©2000 Designed by ArtAtac