Directory Entry of Suffolk 1875
Tuddenham St. Mary
Is a parish & village, pleasantly situated on gently rising ground 3 ¼ miles south-east from Mildenhall, 9 north-west from Bury, and 3 north from Higham railway station in the western division of the county, Lackford hundred, Mildenhall union and county court district, Fordham rural deanery, Sudbury archdeaconry, and diocese of Ely. The church of St Mary is an ancient building of stone and rubble, in the Early English style of architecture, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, tower with 5 bells, and porch. The register dates from 1563. The living is a rectory, yearly value £283, with residence, in the gift of the Marquis of Bristol, and held by the Rev. Ezekiel Sparke, M.A. , of Caius College, Cambridge. The Free school was founded by John Cockerton, who endowed it, in 1723, with a dwelling-house and some land attached for the use of the schoolmaster: the school-house and masters house have been rebuilt. The Baptists have a chapel here. There is one charity of about £6 yearly value. There is an extensive flour mill driven by water & steam. Here are the remains of an abbey. The Marquis of Bristol and Mrs. Rogers are each owners of their respective manors, and of the principal part of the soil The soil is light & sandy; subsoil gravel & sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2644 acres; rateable value £2064; and the population in 1871 was 400.
Parish Clerk, Ambrose Mason.
Frederick Manning, receiver. Letters by foot from Soham arrive at 7.30a.m.; dispatched at 5.30p.m. Mildenhall is the nearest money-order office. Free school, Frederick Vanhagan, master; Mrs Laura Vanhagan, mistress
CARRIERS TO BURY
passes through every Wednesday from Mildenhall.
Sparke Rev Ezekiel, M.A.,J.P.[rector ]
©2000 Jean Ridley
A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival ©2000 Designed by ArtAtac