Moulton Before And After 1066 In 1086, As Recorded In The Doomsday Book
After the Norman conquest village life changed little. Moulton whose overlord before the conquest was Archbishop Stigand, the Saxon, held the manor with 7 caracutes of land (about 840 acres of ploughed land) It was then passed without much change to Archbishop Lanfranc, who assigned the manor to provide the Monks with food. In fact the only changes noted in the Doomsday Book in the 20 years from 1066 to 1086 are that the value of the Manor dropped from £15.00 to £12.00 and the population changed from:
32 Villeins decreased to 22
7 borders increased to 16
6 serfs decreased to 2
1210 The Cockfield Family Becomes Lords Of The Manor In Moulton, 'Stonehall
After a time the Manorial Rights were granted by the King to the powerful family of the De Clares of Clare Castle, 15 miles away. The De Clares held 95 Lordships in Suffolk. Under the overlordship of the De Clares the Cockfield family were given the Manor of Moulton..
First Recorded Church Built
Norman stone church built, first Rector John de Muleton.
Moulton Granted A Licence For A Market
In medieval times villages were called 'Towns'. Moulton was granted a licence for a market by Edward I, in 1298. The site of the market was where Maltings Close and Lark Hill are now built. This area was called Market field on the enclosures act map of 1839. The market would have been convenient for the pack horse route that ran through the village. The market was known to be in use in 1227/8.
The Packhorse Bridge Moulton Built
The Packhorse Bridge is reputed to have been built about 1446, during the Anjou period. Its style is also known as the Abbots Rialto, being very similar in construction to those in Italy, the arches being unusually pointed. The bridge which has also been called 'Blackfriers Bridge', was built before the time of paved roads, to span the river which at that time must have presented the carriage of goods and people with a considerable obstacle, to merit the considerable expense of building such a structure.
Trade from the Abbey town of Bury St Edmunds, to the University City of Cambridge was considerable, the pack horse/mule trains followed the route, Bury-Saxham-Barrow-Higham-Gazeley-Moulton-Cheveley-Woodditton- Stetchworth-Dullingham-The Wilbrahams-Fulbourn-Cherry Hinton-Cambridge. (Part source: Arthur Watkins).
John Moody Leaves Moulton For America
John Moody, his wife Sarah (nee' Cox), emigrated to America in the spring of 1633. They settled in Roxbury in the colony of Massachusetts Bay. In later years the family established themselves in Hartford, Connecticut, where their only surviving son Samuel was born in 1636. John died in the Autumn of 1655 at about 50 years of age, Sarah died on the 4th November 1671. Samuel survived into manhood, marrying Sarah Deming in 1658. Their many descendants can be traced to the present day.
1828 First Methodist Chapel Built
First non-conformist (Methodist) chapel built beside near the Packhorse Bridge. Built of flint walls with a slate roof, it is now (1999) a private house, traces can still be seen of its former use.
1839, The Enclosures Act
Moulton Enclosures were carried out under a special act in 1839. The old common arable fields were divided among those who had rights in them. Many old wastes, heaths, commons and marshes were treated in the same way. Great changes in the appearance of the parish was seen by its inhabitants. Instead of fields in long straight strips, with unploughed balks between them, the strips belonging to each farmer were made into one and hedgerows planted. In time they became fields separated by hedges and trees, the old cart tracks became lanes.
Moulton parish had a total area of 3169 acres, of which 2031 acres were Enclosed. In 1797 the arable land was estimated at 1600 acres. The total acreage of the parish in 1999 is a little over 3000. (3169 acres 1912).
The first nationwide census, where the names of the villagers was recorded and kept.
1849, Moulton's First School Built
The site for the school and the adjoining school house was built on glebe (Church) land in Brookside in 1849. The land was given by the Rector, the Rev Edmund Mortlock. He writes "The building was erected wholly at my expense, at the cost of a little over £600, including the fittings of the school and the furniture of the residence". When the school opened in 1849, it had places for 116 children. The teachers were Thomas and Elizabeth Guise.
The proportion of the glebe, conveyed by the Rev Edmund Mortlock, for the site of the school and school house, was too small, in that there was no room to build a classroom to satisfy the Education Act of 1879. Further land was released, enabling the school to be enlarged, in 1877 and 1897. This also provided a playground for the children and a garden for the school house.
A new classroom was added in 1877, when Rev W J Josling was Rector. This new classroom was further enlarged and refurbished in 1897. Thus the school building comprised of two large classrooms, an entrance hall/cloakroom and a utility room, which led to the teachers house. It was sold as a private house in 1961.
1862, The Shepherd And Dog Inn Built
Built by John Blinker, as a beer house. Constructed of flints gathered from the surrounding fields. The interior included a entrance room, a tap room and cellar as well as living accommodation for the landlord and his family. The building was attached to three thatched cottages, which were set at a right angle to the main building. One room from the Shepherd and Dog extended into the first thatched cottage.
In front of the building, was a 'well', at the rear stables and a large garden. The Shepherd and Dog continued to be run by a member of the Blinker family until 1947, when it was sold as a private dwelling. The attached thatched cottages were demolished in 1960 as well as the stables at the rear. The property is now owned by the council and has been converted into two houses.
1864, Post Office In The Village
One of the first records of a sub-postmaster are in 1864, when Robert B.Ranson ran the shop on The Street. Letters arrived from Newmarket at 8.10 a.m. and were dispatched at 6 p.m. Of the building itself, the original house was known as 'Stonehall' and was built in the reign of James II, it has also been called 'Lawn House'. When it became a shop is not known, but it was in use in 1844.
1870, Old Trinity Hall Farm House Destroyed
The original farmhouse and farm buildings stood in the centre of the village, near the cross-roads, until it was destroyed by fire. The house was there in 1839 when the Enclosure Award was made. Sometime after the fire two flint cottages (No. 2 & 4 The Street) were built, practically on the same site.
1890, Diphtheria Epidemic
Diphtheria killed at least 15 children in the village, in 1890, several of the children were from the Plummer families, also among those who died was Eva Pooley, daughter of the village baker. The children were all buried together, in the old churchyard, beside the south wall, where the wall makes a 90 degree turn. Up to a few years ago it was possible to distinguish the small mounds. Up to the Second World War, each grave was marked with a small metal cross, with initials of each child on it. The crosses were removed during the war.
1894, The Plough / Kings Head Inn, Rebuilt
The Kings Head was erected at the end of the last century on the foundations of the previous building, using the old cellars. The previous building, known as the Plough Alehouse was destroyed by fire in 1893. The pub was rebuilt by Archibald Tweed. Since it was built the Kings Head has always been supplied by Greene King Ltd, who now own the pub.
The restaurant opened in the late 1980's extensive renovation carried out in 1992. In 1993, Sunday evening barbecue was a regular feature, in the summer. In November a jazz group played twice a week. Every first Monday of the month is quiz night, an event which is well supported (1998).
1896, New Methodist Chapel Built
The new, (second) Methodist Chapel was built on a site that was formerly a plantation. Money raised to build the chapel was raised by donations and by the sale of building bricks to villagers and friends of the chapel. The chapel remained in use until 1989, when the last service was held on 1st January. In its heyday, the chapel enjoyed a large following, with a large proportion of the village being members. Beside the main Sunday services, there was a Sunday School which was attended by all denominations, and a wayside pulpit which always caught the eye.
The interior fittings were removed in September 1990, a preservation order put on the building in the same year. The chapel was put up for sale in December 1991. The chapel was sold in January 1993, for conversion into a private dwelling.
1900, Moulton Paddocks Enlarged
The estate of Moulton Paddocks occupies an exceptionally favourable position, two miles from Newmarket on the Bury St Edmunds Road. The training grounds of Bury Hill and The Limekilns adjoin the Paddock. The estate was so much enriched and developed by the Rt. Hon Sir Ernest Cassel P.C. K.C. M.G., was earlier known as Fidget Hall. The house is about two miles west of Moulton village and became the racing seat of Sir Ernest. His daughter married the Hon Wilfred Ashley (Lord Mount Temple) in 1901.
Their two daughters, the eldest being the Countess Mountbatten, spent some of her childhood there. The residence was built of flint with some brickwork, with a slate roof. The walls were clad with ivy and ornamental creepers. The house stood amid delightful surroundings. The approach road to the house, built in 1901, from the Bury St Edmunds Road was a long asphalt drive running between an avenue of Chestnuts, guarded at the entrance by a picturesque six roomed lodge and opened to a broad gravelled forecourt.
King Edward VII was a frequent guest at the Paddocks. Stories are told of the magnificent flower beds under the Royal visitors rooms, changing colour in a night, an army of gardeners would replant the beds during his slumbers. The King's favourite room was said to be the conservatory, which was on the right of the main building. It included fountains, ponds, exotic plants and raised gardens. It was said that there were other crowned heads as house guests. As well as racing, Sir Ernest was well known for his grand shooting parties. This was truly Moulton Paddocks golden time. The estate employed most of the men from the village, about one hundred walked or cycled in each day. When Sir Ernest died in 1921, he left money to every workman and also to the village.
1906, Lanwades Park, House And Estate Established
Sited near the old Bury to Newmarket road, within the Parish of Moulton, Lanwades Park and house was built by Mr J.W.Larnack, as the result of an improbable £500 bet on the 1898 Derby, when a horse called ' Jeddah' ridden by Otto Madden, romped home at 100:1. The horse was buried on the estate, with a stone marking its grave.
According to the 1891 census there was only a stud and some farm cottages occupying the what was to become Lanwades park, the stud buildings are not far from the Bell Inn. Lanwades Park house which was always called 'The Mansion' , by local people, was built with all the necessary outbuildings, including a fine entrance and Gade lodge. Racing stables were built besides the start of the Moulton to Kennett Rd with a training yard and accommodation for staff above the stables. The large house beside the stables, on the corner opposite the Bell Inn was occupied by the trainer.
1907, First Car In The Village
Mr Deeks, owner of the shop, post office and butchery business, bought a car from a garage in Thetford, he never learned to drive it properly and was always running off the road.
1912, The Airship 'Beta' Lands
The airship 'Beta' descended in Mr Camp's meadow at Moulton, (now St Peters Av.) on Thursday the 19th of September, at 11:00hrs for repairs to its engine. Moulton blacksmith, Charles Poulter assisted in the repair. It caused quite a sensation, people from a wide area came to see it. The airship ascended on Saturday the 21st of September at 07:45hrs and reached its destination, Farnborough at 12:00hrs the same day.
Photographs were taken on the Friday afternoon by Mr J F Hindell, A.R.C.O. of Newmarket. One of the crew, a Sgt Barnes, sent a photograph of both H.M.A. 'Beta' and her sister airship H.M.A.'Gamma II', to Mrs Tweed, of the Kings Head. Of H.M.A. 'Beta' he said "This is the one that got smashed".
1914 To 1918, The First World War
At the start of the First World War, the population of the village was approximately 550 (509 in 1891). The number of children at school in 1896 was 59. The number of young men, and women who we know served in the Great War was 70, of those 18 were killed. This high number, as per size of population, must be attributed to the large families that were common at that time.
1921, White Hall Destroyed By Fire
On November 29th, the Hall known as 'White Hall', which stood close to the Dalham Road was burnt down. At the time, repairs and alterations being made for Mr Lindsay Lane were nearly completed. By the time the Newmarket fire engine arrived the hall was totally destroyed. A poor photograph of White Hall exists in the archive and what remained after it was burnt down.
1922, The Old Village Hall Built
Just after the first war, Sir Ernest Cassel gave to the village land for recreational purposes and £250 for the purchase of an ex-army hut for use as the Village Hall. The Hall was built in 1922 after some delay due to Sir Ernest's death.
1925, Petrol Pump Installed
In 1925 builder Russell Clarke installed petrol pumps beside the Chippenham Road, outside his builders yard. In time there were three pumps all hand operated. Each pump had two glass containers at the top of the pump, one of which was filled by the operation of a hand pump, once one container was full it was discharged allowing the other container to be filled. The three pumps supplied, Shell, B.P. and Shell - Mex, which was a lorry fuel. The prices in 1927 were one shilling per gallon for Shell and B.P. and 11.5 pence for Shell - Mex.
1930's, Last Carrier And Coalman
Dicky (William) Plummer was carrier, coalman and thatcher, up to the early 1930's. He ran his business from his home at No 5 Brookside, the right hand of the then three cottages, where he had his coalyard. The coal was collected by horse drawn cart from Kennett railway station. As a carrier, he used a six seat landour. Travel to Newmarket was on Tuesday and Bury-St-Edmunds on Wednesday. Several of his sons worked in the business.
1937/38, Electricity Supply Arrives In Moulton
Electricity Supply. Electricity was supplied to the village from the national grid, just before the Second World War.
New Rectory Built
Rev Brereton was the last rector to live in the 'Priory', beside the church. He and his family left the 'Priory' to live in 'Hempsted Lodge', near the cross roads, until the new rectory in Brookside.
1939/40, Mains Water In The Village
The village was connected to the mains water supply, the work being started before the outbreak of war. Each householder had to dig their own trench in order to connect up to the mains. The water tower at Gazeley together with the pumping station on the Gazeley/Moulton Road, are a major parts of the scheme.
1939 To 1945, Moulton In The Second World War
Out of a population of about 600, Moulton was able to put 48 persons into war service. Of those, 7 were killed. In the 1939/40 a small army camp existed on Primrose Hill. Twenty or thirty men were billeted in wooden huts. Their task was to man and maintain the searchlight which were positioned on the crown of the hill.
Further along the Gazeley Road on the right hand side is an air raid shelter, used by personnel manning a mobile beacon, which flashes morse letters, used to guide the bombers home after raids, to their bases at Snailwell, Newmarket and Lakenheath. The shelter was built beside the beacon as it was attacked on at least one occasion.
Beside the footpath from Moulton to Dalham, on the left hand side, trenches can still be seen. These were dug by troops camped in the woods nearby in the early stages of the war. The presence of troops must have been spotted by the enemy, who dropped a stick of bombs from Catford Bridge out into the fields towards to the north west. Until recently several craters could still be seen, one being beside the footpath. More bombs fell behind Moulton Manor, near Lanwades House and on Chippenham Hill, all in separate attacks.
Moulton Paddocks House became H.Q. for one army command as well as accommodation. The surrounding woods provided cover for equipment of all kinds. In the village several soldiers were billeted with local families.
A large R.E.M.E. workshop was situated in Lanwades Park, on the left of the Moulton/ Kennett Road, not far from the Bell Inn. Both Italian and German prisoners of war, worked in the village on local farms and clearing the river.
Some were billeted with local families or lived in huts, near their places of work. The Italians were noted for their carving skills and the Germans for their hard work. Both the Jennings and Saltmarsh families kept in contact with their 'guests' long after the war was over.
1940, Locally Produced Milk Deliveries End
Milk Deliveries. Before the advent of bottle deliveries by Bridge Farm Dairies, Mildenhall, the last locally produced and delivered milk was supplied to the village by Bridge Farm Moulton, (near the village green Raymond, Bella and Alan Jennings) and by French Hall Farm (Clarkson). The Clarksons delivered to the village by van, and were the last to give such a service. They ceased milk deliveries in about 1940, their round being taken over by Bridge Farm Dairies of Mildenhall.
Bridge Farm Slaughter House Closes
Bridge Farm Slaughter House. A terrace providing living accommodation as well as room for two shops, a butchers and a grocers with a covered entrance leading from Bridge Street to the farm and slaughter house in the rear. Primarily a pork butchers, the shop and slaughter house closed in 1940/41. Owned by the Jennings family.
1947, The Shepherd And Dog Inn Closes
The Shepherd and Dog. The inn continued to be run by a member of the Blinker family until 1947, when it was sold as a private dwelling. The attached thatched cottages were demolished in 1960 as well as the stables at the rear.
The property is now owned by the council and has been converted into two houses.
The Animal Health Trust Moves To Moulton
Animal Health Trust. A canine centre was established in 1947 at Lanwades Hall and estate, which stands in the parish of Moulton, near Newmarket. In 1948 V.E.T. changed its name to the Animal Health Trust. The Queen who had made several visits over the years, became patron in 1957. In 1966, John Clabby took over as chief executive, by this time the Trust had two research stations, The Small Animals Centre at Lanwades Park and the Equine Research station at Newmarket. In 1969 a new Small Animals Centre was built at Lanwades Park and opened by HRH The Princess Royal.
The trust is a charity and hard work is required to raise the necessary finance to support its essential work. In 1992, the science is undertaken in four departments: Infectious Diseases, Clinical Studies, Physiology, and Immunogenetics. There is a staff of 165 including 30 Veterinary surgeons and an annual turnover of £4.5M. As part of this objective the council decided to try to raise enough money to relocate all of the activities on to the one site at Lanwades Park.
Building work on the new £4M animal hospital, started in November 1994. Work was able to start early due to a donation of £1.3M from the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.
1949-51, Benefield Road Built
Benefield Road. Built in 1949-51 by several builders, these included Fullers of Isleham and Young's of Mildenhall. The development was carried out for the Mildenhall R.D.C. and comprises of 26 houses and four bungalows, the bungalows being on Chippenham Road.. It was built on land formerly owned by Greene King Ltd. The road, named after Mrs Benefield, who lived to 101 years old, and lived nearby.
First Television In The Village
Harold.V.Jennings, the shop and Post Office, Evelyn Jennings, of Bridge Street and Chris Tweed the baker, all had a televisions as early as 1949. Chris Tweed, who had his bakery and house next to the Kings Head, had a 80ft mast to receive an acceptable signal from the transmitting station, at Tacolneston near Norwich. Mr & Mrs Hayhoe, who lived at the bungalow on the Gazeley Road, which is now called "Amento" (1998), had a television in 1953, supplied by Lawsons of Bury.
1950, Moulton Paddocks House Demolished
After Sir Ernest Cassel's time, Mr Solly Joel bought the estate in 1922 and he died in 1931. His son Dudley Joel inherited the estate, but he died on active service in 1941. The estate was left to his brother and sister Mr Stanhope Joel and Mrs Rogerson. After a time Mr Stanhope Joel relinquished his part of the estate in favour of his brother in law Mr John Rogerson.
During the war the house was requisitioned and became Eastern Command and 35 Tank Brigade HQ, with the house and grounds used to billet soldiers. What furniture was left was stored in locked rooms and the nursery stables. Later the house was used to billet Canadian soldiers. The houses suffered during these years and remained unoccupied after the war. Even so several men were employed on the estate farm. As mechanisation increased, the number has gradually been reduced. The house was then demolished in 1950, with items being sold in lots. Some of the house parts even ended up in the USA.
1951, John Lane Of Moulton Manor, Killed In Korea
Captain in the Royal Artillery, he was killed on January the 4th 1951, aged 28.
Twin brother to Michael Lane who was killed in the Second World War.
The family lived at Moulton Manor, close to the Cheveley Road.
1954, Butchers Shop And Slaughter House Closes
William Jennings took over the Post Office and Butchers in 1907, and he expanded the business to include a slaughter house at the rear of the premises. At its height, at least ten people were employed supplying many surrounding villages. When William died in 1921, his son Harold took over the both sides of the business.
1955, Bridge Farm Grocers Shop Closes
A terrace providing living accommodation as well as room for two shops, butchers and grocers with a covered entrance leading from Bridge Street to the farm and slaughter house in the rear. Shops run by the Jennings family, the butchery business closed in 1940 /41 and the grocery business in about 1955.
The most recent bakery in the village was situated next to the Kings Head Inn, in what is now No 13 Bridge Street (1998). The bakery was run by Chris Tweed. Working with him were Page Wilson, Fred Talbot, Joe Wright and John Tweed. Chris specialised in Hovis bread and was also an expert cake maker, winning many prizes for his work.
New Village Hall Opens
New Village Hall. At a meeting on the 8th of January 1952, the possibility of a new hall was first mentioned. For the next 21 months much work was done in planning the new hall and at a committee meeting on the 8th of September 1954, Mr Tweed announced that a grant from the Ministry of Education , of £855 had been offered and as soon as it was confirmed, the work of construction could begin. This grant made the total available £2575 and providing that some of the work could be done by voluntary labour, i.e. digging foundations and brick laying, should be enough to complete the hall. By the 22nd of November 1954, the main structure of the main hall had been erected by the contractor and volunteers were called for, to start bricklaying, there was a good response.
The old hut committee had £252 in hand and voted to give £100 of this towards the new hall. At a meeting on the 21st of March 1955, Mr Tweed reported that progress on the new hall was proceeding well. On the 8th of August 1955, preliminary plans were made for the opening. On September the 24th, at 18:00hrs the hall was opened by the Hon Mrs Aitkin. The hall is available for hire for village or private functions.
1959, Moulton New School Opens,
The New School. Built in 1958/9 by W J Baker Ltd, from Thurston, on land owned by the Church. Opened on the 3rd June 1959, by Mr D S Eastman JP, Chairman of West Suffolk Education Committee and dedicated by the Reverend S H Cartwright MA, Rector of Moulton. The School Managers, at the opening of the new school were, Messers V S Daniells, C E Poulter, C F Tweed, J S MacGregor, E F Saltmarsh and E W Plume, with the Rector as Chairman. A new classroom was added in 1999.
Old School Closes
The Old School. With the opening of the new school, the old school in Brookside was closed and sold as a private house.
1962, St Peters Avenue And St Peters Close Built
Built in 1962 by builders Norman Mayes. It comprises of 21 bungalows and 17 houses the land was formerly owned by Moulton Manor Farm. The site had a pond near Dalham Road, and a footpath passes from the Little Green to Dalham Road. This was the site of the landing by the airship 'Beta' in 1912. The avenue was named after St Peter's Church, which is nearby.
1966, Main Sewage System Built
With the building of a main sewage plant, most houses in the village were able to be connected. The treatment plant is sited between Dalham and Moulton.
1965-70, Maltings Close Built
Built by builders Norman Mayes of Moulton. It comprises of 48 Bungalows. Built on land formerly owned by three separate owners, French Hall Farm, Mr Harold Jennings and the Post Office. The main part of the land, owned by the Post Office, was previously used as the village football field. The Estate was given its name as it lies on the site of the former maltings.
1968, The Great Flood
Knowing the predictability of the river, the floods of 1968 were due to factors which unlikely to occur again. Parish councillors, H.V.Jennings and Chris Tweed were opposed to planning permission being given for what is now St Peters Av., on the grounds of flooding, but their advice was ignored.
After several days of heavy rain the several trees lying across the river near Catford Bridge, formed a dam. The water continued to build and in the early morning of Monday September the 17th, the dam burst. The main volume of water reaching Moulton at 06.00hrs, causing extensive flooding in the areas surrounding the river. People had but a very short time to leave their properties or to take refuge upstairs. Once rescue services could be organised, people and possessions were moved to safety.
At its peak the water was well over the car bridge, the water started to fall after 48 hrs, when a major clean-up operation got under way. Many people and organisations helped by either fund raising, lending equipment or in the cleaning of houses and effects. The water had left a layer of mud wherever it had been, furniture and carpets had to be washed and homes dried out. Some older members of the village remarked that they had no memory of similar flooding.
Since the flood, Anglian Water has taken responsibility for the upkeep of the river, with bank and bed cleaning/cutting carried out at least twice a year.
1973, Moulton And District Newsround Published
A dedicated team launched 'The Moulton and District Newsround'. The villages covered were Moulton, Kennett, Kentford, Gazeley and Dalham and the initial cost was 5p. The first editorial team were Basil Browse, editor, Mrs P. Aston, assistant, Mr A. Davidson, assistant, Mrs E. Davidson, assistant, Mrs J. Hefford, assistant, Mr I Smith, assistant.
1974, Last Rector In Village
In 1974, on his retirement, the Reverent Rudolf Walker left the village without a rector for the first time since the twelfth century.
1972-86, Lark Hill Estate Built
Built between 1972 - 86 by builders Norman Mayes. It comprises of 36 Bungalows and 10 houses. It was built on land sold by French Hall Farm. A footpath joining the Street to Newmarket Road passes through the estate.
1984, Parish And County Boundary Changes
Notification has been received from the Boundaries Commission, that with effect from April 1st 1984, the area incorporating Moulton Avenue and Edgeborough Close will be transferred from the parish of Moulton to the Parish of Kentford.
1985, Moulton And District Newsround Ceases Publication
After 50 issues the 'Newsround' ceases publication. From its launch in 1973 the editorial team had expanded to include representatives in each village and the cost had risen from 5p to 25p. The final editorial team was Editor - Basil Browse, Moulton, Artistic Adviser - Miriam Osterburg, Sales co-ordinator - Jenny Wiggins, Sports rep - Anthony Browse, Dalham rep - Lieut. Col Arthur Doyle, Gazeley rep - Alf Kidd, Kennett rep - Cannon Peter May, Kentford rep - Ian Smith, Moulton rep - Andy Davidson, Moulton rep - Bill Hanshaw.
1988, Petrol Pumps Close
Billy and Freddie Williams, from their premises on Chippenham Road (formerly Clarke the Builder who installed the petrol pumps,) served petrol, oil, paraffin, charged batteries, repaired bicycles, mended punctures, sold accessories and ran a taxi service. Freddie's shop/workshop was an accumulation of bits and pieces collected over the years. In the middle of the storeroom covered with parts, stood a three-quarter size snooker table.
At the rear of their sheds they had a large garden, and orchard where they kept beehives. When in season they would sell fruit, vegetables and honey. Freddie always wore a dark blue military battle dress, beret, and wellington boots, no matter what the weather. They ran their business from 1946 to 1988, when they both retired due to ill health.
1989, Last Service At The New Methodist Chapel
The Methodist Chapel held its last service on 1st January.
1990, Moulton Wins Suffolk's 'Best Kept Village' Award
Moulton won Suffolk's best kept village competition at the first attempt. Judges of the contest were impressed with Moulton's character and community spirit and awarded Moulton first prize, second was Cockfield, third Pakenham and fourth Orford.
Competition organisers in Moulton said they were "surprised but delighted with the result" which they said was "down to the enthusiasm and dedication of people from all walks of village life".
1992, Parish And County Boundary Changes
Change were made to the county boundary along the Bury and Moulton Roads to Newmarket.
1993, Methodist Chapel Sold As A Private Dwelling
Chapel Sold. In its heyday, the chapel enjoyed a large following, with a large proportion of the village being members. The interior fittings were removed in September 1990, a preservation order put on the building in the same year.
The chapel was put up for sale in December 1991 and was sold in January 1993, for conversion into a private dwelling.
Building Firm Closes
Building Firm Closes. Builder Norman Mayes closes his business. All effects are sold from his yard near The Street. His yard, including his offices (beside the Post Office) were sold for residential building land.
1994, The Womans Institute Closes
The W.I. closes due to falling membership and the inability to fill committee positions.
1999, Warren Hill House Demolished
Warren Hill House. Cheveley Park Stud, who bought the property in 1998, decide the house is uneconomical to repair after years of neglect. A new house will be built on the site.
Riverside Walk Estate Completed
Riverside Walk. 1998, eleven houses built at the bottom of Tweed Close, on the site of the former allotments, last owner Joe Turner of Benefield Road. The houses have been modified to accommodate U.S.A.F personnel.
Initially plans were given for a mixture of house types, including starter homes with a footpath connecting Tweed Close with the footpath beside the river. These plans were later changed by the builder. Developer T.P VCT Ltd, Agent TP Associates Ltd. The first family moves in on the 26th of January 1999, they were Chief Master Sgt Steve Webster and his wife Diana.
2000, Moulton Celebrates The Millennium
Oak tree, planted on the village green, with surrounding seat and tree guard. The seat was paid for by an unnamed benefactor, It was designed by John Stovold and constructed at the forge (C.L. Engineering), in Moulton.
Dinner and Dance
A committee was formed early in 1999 to see what kind of celebration could be held at the dawn of the millennium. It was decided that a dinner and dance would be an occasion which all villagers could take part. The village was canvassed to gauge the response, which was favourable to the general idea. The Village Hall was found to be to small for the event, local farmer David Saltmarsh was approached and agreed that the event could be held in a modern barn belonging to his farm, which was situated on the edge of the village. The price of tickets was £45, which included a buffet dinner, disco, fireworks and champagne. Music was to be provided by 'Mr G ' disco. Everyone would provide their own drinks, this would eliminate the need for drinks licence to be applied for.
A great deal of hard work was carried out by the committee members and others in transforming the barn interior, arranging toilets, a catering area, dance floor, tables and chairs, electric's, heating if it was cold, table settings, food, etc. etc.
It was fortunate that the team included people with knowledge of electric's, catering, building and plumbing.
On the evening itself, entering the building was such a surprise, such was the transformation, it was hard to believe an ordinary agricultural barn could be so transformed. I must confess bewilderment on entering, To match the occasion most people were formally dressed. It was an extraordinary evening, the new Millennium was seen in with fireworks, dancing continued into the morning, 140 people enjoyed the evening. Moulton did celebrate in style.
The Committee members were Chas Longhurst. Bill Pickering, Diana Brown Mick Brown, Justine Webb Dorothy Bowers, Willie Nash Richard Marshall, Brian Gray Jeff Bailes, Tony Jones Peter Saunders