Village Hall see separate article
Kentford Cottage/ Clifton Lodge
Houses in the late 1940's
Lodge / The Langtry
The next owner was Lillie Langtry (The Jersey Lily) who was closely involved with Baird. She was a member of King Edward VII's, then Prince of Wales, set and was his mistress for a while, signified by stained glass windows featuring the Royal coats of arms, Prince of Wales feathers and the Jersey Lily. During her ownership she played host to many of the most renowned society members of the day
In July 1899 the house was put up for auction by Messrs Griffiths & Chennell of Newmarket on the instructions of Mrs Langtry. There were then three reception rooms, nine bed and dressing rooms, two bathrooms and a billiard room as well as a complete suite of 'domestic offices'. There was stabling for 18 horses, a large paddock, enclosed kitchen garden and two cottages with gardens occupied by a gardener and coachman, all totalling about 6.5 acres. It would appear that the property was not sold at this stage!
In 1920 Mrs Langtry, now Lady de Bathe, sold the house to Major Grigg and went to live in Monte Carlo.
By 1980 the Savino family owned the house. It was next sold in 1985 when it became the Langtry Hotel up until the end of 1990 when it was closed for redevelopment as apartments.
Old maps of Kentford show the area below the trees (above) as being a pond up until the middle of the last century. In 1770 the road between Newmarket and Bury St Edmunds was turnpiked and travellers had to pay to pass through the tollgate where Tollgate Close now stands.
Between 1823 and 1844 David Elisha Davey recorded his tours of Suffolk. In
1828 on 21st August he came to Kentford from Newmarket:
From Kentford Cock, as soon as a heavy storm would permit us we set off for Moulton, about 2 miles; the road is one apparently but little used and is miserably bad…….."
In 1871 the inn, then known as the Old Cock, was purchased by Greene King for £370. Three generations of the Filby family were licensees of the Cock continuously from 1872 until 1983
Kentford Lodge, home of the Lord family for many years. Members of the Lord family were closely involved with village affairs from the very first Parish Meeting in 1894 until 1973 when Colonel Lord (below) did not seek re-election, having served as Chairman of the Parish Meeting for 25 years.
and Ball 1900
In 1783, when the inn was known as the Bull, a highwayman, James Steggles, was apprehended here after robbing Mr William Macro of Barrow Hall of the parish tithes which he had been collecting at the Red Lion in Barrow. James Steggles was executed at Bury St Edmunds on what the Judge described as no positive proof but a connected chain of evidence - a horse shoe print and a handkerchief amongst them.
On the Tithe Map of 1843 the inn was still known as the Bull but the next year, White's Suffolk refers to the Fox and Ball Inn as unoccupied and in 1896, shortly before the picture above, William Norman was the owner.
The Will of Richard Haddenham who died in 1542 details a bequest: 'To the reparation of the causey from Kentford Bridge to my door 6s 8d'
In 1929 the County Surveyor was asked to change the site where steam lorries drew water from the river from the position being used opposite the entrance to Meddler Stud, where it was causing an obstruction, to one nearer the bridge. This was agreed and a proper draw up was constructed.
This new bridge was upgraded in 1999 by Suffolk County Council to carry over 40 tonnes weight in accordance with EU regulations and was declared open by County Councillor Jane Andrews-Smith in December that year.
The double sided village sign, standing to the west of the bridge, is perhaps unique in being on the borders of two villages and on the boundary of two counties. Kennett on the reverse depicts the story of a Danish sword found in a tree.
The houses shown are in Cambridgeshire with the County boundary running in front of them. At the crossroads beyond the Bell public house two counties and three parishes meet - Suffolk/Cambridgeshire and Kentford/Kennett/Moulton. Moulton Avenue would be built later on the left of the road.
The site of Thurlow Nunn Standen, together with Moulton Avenue and Edgeborough Close, was transferred to Kentford Parish from Moulton in April 1984.
A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival ©2000 Designed by ArtAtac