In Memory
Features Folk & Facts Wartime

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

In Memory of the men of Herringswell who gave their lives in the Second World War

Manís inhumanity to man makes countless thousands mourn.

In Memory of

GEORGE DOUGLAS ARCHIBALD HORREX

Private
6028234
2nd Bn., Essex Regiment
who died on
Friday, 12th June 1942. Age 29.

Additional Information:

Son of Archibald Thomas Horrex, and of Grace Sarah Horrex, of Herringswell, Suffolk.

 

Commemorative Information

Cemetery:

DELHI WAR CEMETERY, India

Grave Reference/
Panel Number:

5. L. 11.

Location:

Delhi War Cemetery is about 11 kilometres from New Delhi, on the eastern outskirts of Delhi Cantonment and occupies a flat rectangular site adjoining the existing cantonment cemetery. Proceed to Delhi Cantonment via Sardar Patel Road to Dhaula Kuan roundabout, then continue along the ring road to Brar Square, over the level crossing, then continue for 1 kilometre along Cemetery Road, the cemetery is on the right hand side. The first Commonwealth War Graves Commission direction sign is on the Dhaula Kuan roundabout and the second on Brar Square just before the railway crossing. The Cemetery has an imposing entrance of Grey Dholpur Stone, within which is one part of the Dual Memorial to 25,000 men of the Army and Air Force of Undivided India who died during the 1939-45 War while on service in non-operational zones - the Delhi and Karachi 1939-1945 War Memorials. Also within the Cemetery, located inside the entrance feature on the left-hand side, is the Delhi 1914-1918 War Memorial commemorating those 1914-1918 War Dead buried in Meerut Cantonment Cemetery whose graves were classified as unmaintainable. The Delhi Cremation Memorial, within the Cemetery next to the Special Memorial erected to Private Mackie, commemorates a member of the W.A.A.F. who was cremated at New Delhi. The ashes were deposited in St. Martin's Church, Delhi, but cannot now be traced by the Church authorities.

Historical Information:

Delhi, the ancient capital of the Mogul Empire, is the capital of the Republic of India. The old city, begun in 1638 by the Emperor Shah Jehan, is a closely built walled city on the western bank of the river Jumna, with many ancient buildings. The new city, built when the capital was transferred from Calcutta to Delhi, is on a rocky platform on the slopes of the hills south of "old" Delhi. The War Cemetery is about 11 kilometres from New Delhi on the eastern outskirts of Delhi Cantonment, and occupies a flat rectangular site adjoining the existing cantonment cemetery. It has an imposing entrance of grey Dholphur stone within which is one part of a dual Memorial to men of the army and air force of Undivided India who died during the 1939-1945 War while on service in non-operational zones. The cemetery also contains the graves of 1022 1939-1945 War Dead. In 1966, ninety-nine War Dead of the First World War were transferred from Nicholson Cemetery, Kashmir Gate, Delhi to Delhi War Cemetery, where the graves could be cared for in perpetuity. One of the 1914/1918 War Dead remains in Nicholson Cemetery and is commemorated by a special memorial in Delhi War Cemetery. Marked by a Private Memorial of Brigadier-General Jennings also contains his wife.

 

 

 


In Memory of

MOSTYN LLEWELLYN DAVIES DSO

Major
230270
General List
who died on
Saturday, 25th March 1944. Age 33.

Church plaque states missing 22nd March 1944 at Crna Trava, Bulgaria whilst performing outstanding services in enemy occupied territory which gained him an immediate award of the DSO.

Additional Information:

Son of Llewellyn Sydney and Clara Lina Andrea Davies; husband of Brenda Margaret Davies M.A. Charted Accountant, Actuary.

 

Commemorative Information

Cemetery:

BELGRADE WAR CEMETERY, Yugoslavia

Grave Reference/
Panel Number:

Joint Grave. 9A. D. 7-8.

Location:

The war cemetery is in Uliga Baju Sekulica, in the city's Fifth Region, and is on the edge of the New Yugoslav Cemetery (Novo Groblije).

Historical Information:

The cemetery was created to receive the remains of British and Commonwealth casualties brought in from more than sixty small burial grounds and from isolated sites all over Yugoslavia. The largest number from any one place came from Milna Military Cemetery and the Royal Naval and Harbour Cemeteries on the island of Vis (Lissa) which was our base. The burials in the War Cemetery include escaped prisoners of war from Italy and Greece. The civilians buried here include a mining technician, a teacher of English, a newpaper correspondent, a member of the Embassy staff and the child of another member of Embassy staff. They were buried or re-buried in the cemetery by permission of the Army Graves Service.

 

 

 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival ©2000 Designed by ArtAtac