Archaeology Folk & Facts Features Last Century

Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team


Shardelowe Manor

The first, Shardelowe Manor, (an area of land probably towards the south of Cavenham) appears in the papers of Sir John Shardelowe and on his death in 1344Source; IPM. 18 Edw 111. 37 passed in the same course as Shardelowes of Little Barton through the descendants of the Shardelowe family. But by 1435 the manor had passed to the Stafford family with the main manor. In 1460 Shardelowe Manor was in the hands of Sir Thomas Tuddenham taking part with the House of Lancaster against that of York, was convicted of treason by the Parliament without hearing his defense, and was beheaded on 23rd Feb 1461Source; IPM 5 Edw.1v 34. The estate, for want of issue descended to his sister Margaret Bedingfield wife of Sir Edmund Bedingfield who died in 1474 when the manor passed to their grandson another Sir Edmund and his descendants until 1503 when the manor was in the hands of Roger Darcy, and later his son, Thomas who died seised of it in 1507.

King Henry VIII granted Shardelowe manor to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk and Mary his wife, Queen Dowager of France. Granted to the Duke of SuffolkSource S.P.1535,p. 1063(7) who sold the manor to Sir Thomas Audley, Lord Chancellor. To his daughter Margaret, Duchess of Norfolk and then to her son and heir, Lord Thomas Howard who later became Earl of Suffolk. In 1592 the manor was sold to Sir Edward Lewkenor and later his son the next |Sir Edward Lewkenor, High Sheriff of Suffolk who died aged 32, in 3rd May 1618. Buried in Denham a sermon lamenting the death of Sir Edward was preached upon a lecture day at Canham in Suffolk, by Bezaleel Carter.

1633 Shardelowe’s was the property of Thomas Stuteville or Stotevill who died in 1649 his widow Judith died in 1696 when the manor left the Stuteville family. By 1702 Simon Patrick, Bishop of Ely was the lord of the manor. His son another Simon sold the manor in 1714 to John Affleck who died 4 years later leaving the manor to his son Gilbert Affleck. Probably this was the manor which in 1734 was vested in Richard Webb and later his brother William who died in 1754 and was buried in the parish church of Cavenham. The Webb name appears on a Bowden’s map of 1777 and is identified by some inhabitants as their place of birth in the relevant census. The manor was vested in 1896 to William Robert Gamul Farmer of Nonsuch Park, Cheam, Surrey.The Manor of Suffolk, Copinger The last owner, The Hon.Mrs. Frances Colborne, sold the manor in 1925

The Bury Record Office records a third manor in Cavenham called Marsier alias Meisier.


A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival ©2000 Designed by ArtAtac