Street Farm
Folk & Facts Buildings Flora & Fauna Festivals

Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team


Street Farm

Street Farm, a Grade II* listed building, is the finest "Wealden"type house in Suffolk. Having been called Street Farm for centuries, the building has in recent years had several name changes which include "Carpenters Farm", "Brown's Farm", "Paradise Farm" and "Hemroyd House" before reverting back to its former name "Street Farm".

The House was built around 1490 as a 3 cell Wealden type house of unusually high quality which suggests it was built for some special function. The house initially had an open two storey main hall with richly carved and moulded oak beams. Around 1530 or 1540 the open hall was subdivided by the construction of a ceiling in the hall.

Street FarmThe house was formerly surrounded by extensive farmland and farm outbuildings which have in recent history been developed into individual domestic residences. 

Street_FARM03.JPG (58635 bytes) The first photo (date unknown) is one of the earliest recorded pictures of the building when it was still thatched and was occupied as a working farmhouse.

Street FarmThe recent photo (2000) shows the signs of extensive renovation over the years but the building and grounds down to the river Lark still retain all the key unspoilt features of the original building.


Copyright 2000: R. Lewis, O. Jennings.

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac