LordMayorCott
Folk & Facts Buildings Flora & Fauna Festivals

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Lord Mayors Cottage

lordmayorcottage.jpg (98656 bytes)Lord Mayors Cottage is at 53 The Street and is a wonderful example of a 15th century thatched cottage. The first owner was Henry de Barton, a skinner from Mildenhall, who was Lord Mayor of London in 1416 and in 1430.

It has also been used as a sweet shop when it was lived in by Mr George Drake.

From 1889 - 1915 Wm. Howlett lived there. He was a Newmarket Taxidermist who wrote weekly articles on fishing and natural history for the Bury Free Press.

From 1931 to 1945 it was the summer home of Dr and Mrs Anderson from Sunderland. During the early part of the war, it was used by Mrs Willsher (the Andersons's daughter) as a nursery school.

Copyright 2000:- O. Jennings, C Mullender, L Brotherton
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac