Football Club
Folk & Facts Buildings Flora & Fauna Festivals

Home
Up
Click here to visit the 22villages online newsgroup
please leave your comments in our Guest book

send an email to the 22village team

 

Barton Mills Football Club

bmfc1910.jpg (62272 bytes)The earliest record of Barton Mills Football Club was in 1910, when this photograph was taken.

After playing for a short while by Fiveways Roundabout, where the current Little Chef is situated, the Club moved to the Browns Farm Meadows on the Tuddenham Road. At the outbreak of the Second World War the Club suspended its activities.

In 1951 the Club was reformed (using the same goals that had been in store for 12 years!) - and in 1952 moved to bmfc1958.jpg (55586 bytes)its present location on the Village Green. In the 50s and 60s the Club had a very strong side and was run by villagers such as Ernie Powell and George Thorby. The photo to the left records one of the teams of that era.

In 1979 the Club built its own purpose-built changing rooms and in the early 80s changed its league affiliation from the Bury St Edmunds leagues to the Cambridgeshire leagues. In the early 90s the Sunday team was re-formed and gained promotion in three successive years, moving from the fourth to the first division. Into the new millennium, the Club still runs three sides and operates indoor five-a-side and pre-season training. The final photo shows the three sides together as the Millennium ended. bmfc1999.jpg (45066 bytes)

Copyright 2000: R. Lewis, L. Brotherton (photos)
 

A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival 2000 Designed by ArtAtac